Saturday, May 31, 2008

Excuse Me While I Rant!

One of the things I left out of my description of our "Epic Journey" down to the East Coast was our teensy weensy little problem with VISA.

On Sunday morning, we brought breakfast and gas in Ottawa (about $55 total). We then drove, bought gas in Levis around 6:00 PM - total about $110. We continued on to Edmunston where our hotel was charged sometime overnight ($125). Then we bought gas in the morning ($80) and went on our way. After the car problems, we went to a Shoppers Drug Mart in Grand Falls to buy some paperbacks ($23) for entertainment while waiting to get our van fixed - my VISA didn't work but the clerk said nothing so I just used another card.

That evening when we went to pay for dinner - another whopping $30 - the waitress told us she got a message that there was a hold on our card and to call VISA. Back at our hotel, I called and was told that since our expenditures were outside our "Normal Pattern", they were afraid our card had been stolen - once I proved who I was, the card was cleared.

This is the 3rd time this has happened to us - always when we are driving back and forth to Nova Scotia from Ottawa. Twice it has been VISA and once it was American Express. I would like to say that I appreciate the diligence of the credit card security staff BUT I DON'T!!!!

If sudden large charges were being posted, then perhaps they would have a point but SMALL charges for gas, a meal, a hotel consistent with driving some place should NOT trigger any action on their part. In each case, they have diligently phoned our home and left a message - fat lot of good that does you when you are driving across the country.

Credit cards were meant for convenience of use when introduced. I do not find it convenient to have to call a credit card company to tell them my travel plans so they won't put a hold on my card.

By the way, when we went to California in March and spent a LOT of money, far away, every day, they didn't put any holds on any of our cards. HUH!!

No comments:

Post a Comment