Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Deer me!

As I was washing the breakfast dishes this morning, looking out the kitchen window, suddenly a doe came crashing up the hill through all the grass and wildflowers I haven't yet got around to cutting. She was moving very quickly, leaping high in the way a deer in full flight moves. She disappeared along the north side of the house and by the time I ran to the front windows she was gone. Did she sail over the front wall and down the drop of 8 feet or so to the street? Then what or where?

How did she get into Lockeport? - perhaps an early morning stroll on the beach ending in paved roads and confusion. The actual access to town is very narrow for an animal to stumble onto it. There is certainly enough space in town for a deer to graze quite successfully but I think the poor thing will likely be venison steaks within a few hours - it's just going to be too hard for her to avoid being hit in such an alien environment.And we certainly aren't used to seeing deer right in town, although they are everywhere else in rural Nova Scotia.

I hope she survives.

No comments:

Post a Comment