Sunday, April 27, 2008

Boxes and Bags

Well, the basement is full of boxes, the garage is full of boxes, and bags of clothes are starting to be stuffed too. The reality of our move to Nova Scotia is starting to sink in.

Bob was laid off from Dell this week so he has accelerated his timetable for moving into our Ottawa townhouse which means I'm having to pack stuff to get it out of his way. I just seem to clear a shelf or area and Wayne comes along behind me and spreads out new stuff to fill my empty spots - it's getting rather frustrating. Wayne's way of "packing" is to make piles - usually not labelled and then NOT put the pile into a box or bag. I suppose it helps a bit but I never know when he's finished and I can pack up whatever it is.

We're not taking much in the way of furniture - one dresser, 2 filing cabinets, CD towers, an end table, and a small bookcase. We're also taking several small appliances, silverware. favourite mugs and wineglasses, some paintings and family pictures, all our CD's, movies and other tapes/DVD's, financial records etc. The things we normally take each year won't be packed until the last moment - clothes (almost all of them this time), computer, tools, cat and his belongings, golf clubs. A new addition this time will be Wayne's hockey equipment which takes up a ton of room. Anyway, at least 2 trips will be required since even a 10' U-Haul would cost almost $1700. and we'd still need to get the 2nd car to Nova Scotia.

I'm trying to decide what I should do with all the baby/little boy paraphernalia I've accumulated in the last 2 years. Some of it would be more useful in Nova Scotia but I want to have enough here to entertain Will and Isla when we are visiting. Leaving Will is the really hard part of this move - his Monday visit often is the highlight of my week. I'll miss the rest of my family too, and although they plan to visit occasionally, it won't be quite the same as having them to dinner every couple of weeks.

Enough feeling sorry for myself - I have to pay the bills so I can pack some more files. And I have to start thinking about address changes. Sigh!

No comments:

Post a Comment